Business Energy from SmartestEnergy
SmartestEnergy is the UK’s leading purchaser and supplier of energy generated by the independent sector.
They combine customer knowledge built up over 13 years with a uniquely flexible approach to service delivery. It’s their mission to help customers find the right energy solution for their business.
They offer a bespoke service with a range of fixed and flexible products to meet the specific needs of their customers, who range from large industrial users to high-street retailers.
The SmartestEnergy Checklist
- Are their prices fully fixed? Offer both fixed and pass through contract options
- Do they include metering and transportation costs in the price? Yes
- Do they include FIT and RO and CFD in the price? CFD excluded
- What is their back billing policy? Awaiting clarification from SMARTEST
- Do they require a letter of authority?Awaiting clarification from SMARTEST
- Does the contract lapse on change of tenancy?Awaiting clarification from SMARTEST
- Is your contract end date on the invoice? No
- Is your termination date on the invoice? No
- When will your renewal letter arrive? SmartestEnergy do not operate a renewal letter process
- When do you need to terminate?Awaiting clarification from SMARTEST
- Do they require termination letter by recorded delivery? Awaiting clarification from SMARTEST
- Will they rollover your contract? Awaiting clarification from SMARTEST
- How high are the out of contract rates? 12.42p/kWh for electricity
- Do they mandate Direct Debit payment terms? No
- What are their Direct Debit terms? Variable, Monthly
- Do they offer Cash / Cheque payment terms? Yes, subject to a small premium
- Do they support reduced rate VAT declaration? Yes
- Do they bill monthly or quarterly? Awaiting clarification from SMARTEST
- Do they provide online billing? Yes
- Do they install smart meters as part of the supply contract? Yes
- Do they support existing smart meters with full functionality? Awaiting clarification from SMARTEST
- Do they provide New Connection & Upgrade Services? Yes
- Do they support IGT meters? No
- Do they support all electricity profiles including half hourly? Maximum demand and HH meters only
- Do they support related and aggregated meters? Support related but not aggregated meters
- Do they offer green and renewable products? Awaiting clarification from SMARTEST
- What is their Fuel Mix? Coal 28%, Gas 16%, Nuclear 5%, Renewables 47%
Other things to know about SmartestEnergy:The Ipswich, London and Glasgow based business:
- Were awarded “Supplier of the Year” at the 2012 Energy Awards;
- Supply customers such as Marks & Spencer, British Airways & Toyota
- Only support higher consuming businesses of over 1GWH per annum;
- Pride themselves on the quality of their customer service;
- Offer a limitless forward pricing curve allowing pricing at any point in the future;
- Offer 12 months fixed contracts for NHH customers;
- Including a commitment to refund any applicable over-estimation on the level of government levies;
- Offer 12-36 month ‘Enviropass’ contracts to NHH and HH customers;
- Allowing pass through of environmental & social obligations such as RO and FiT
- Offer green product options;
- Operate a portfolio of independent renewable generators equating to 40% of the UK’s renewable energy supply;
- Install smart meters in all sites;
SecurityClick on the following link to access SmartestEnergy’s latest contract terms for business energy customers: Smartest Energy Terms and Conditions Are SmartestEnergy’s contracts fully fixed? No, all elements of the SmartestEnergy price can be passed through. This means that when you agree a contract with SmartestEnergy the price can change through the contract term to reflect additional costs.
- Where a change in law occurs affecting delivery of the contract.
- Where the customer fails to fulfil their obligations under the contract.
- Where customers fail to use the stated consumption under the terms of the contract.
- Where the installed metering system changes
Back billing and SmartestEnergyWe are awaiting SmartestEnergy's policy on back billing. Many suppliers have voluntarily limited their back billing rights to two years and in some cases a single year. However equally a number of suppliers are not signed up to the Energy UK Back Billing standards and therefore, under the Limitations Act, are able to back bill their customers for anything up to 6 years. To find out more visit our Guide to Back billing.
SmartestEnergy and Letters of AuthorityIn order to act on your behalf in securing your business a great energy deal SmartestEnergy require us to have a signed Letter of Authority from yourselves. The fastest way to authorise us to work on your energy supply arrangements is to use our eSign service to agree our Evergreen Letter of Authority.
Change of Tenancy and SmartestEnergyMoving into a premise is known as a Change of Tenancy in the business energy market. It has also been termed a Change of Occupier or is known by its acronyms CoT and COO. However it is referred to, the opportunities it opens up are the same. This is great news for deal seekers. Whilst the existing supplier is obliged to continue to provide energy to the new occupier, the occupier is not obliged to take out an extended contract with that supplier. Indeed a Change of Tenancy customer has total freedom of movement and is free to accept a contract with a supplier of their choice There are however of course a number of rules and requirements. Firstly, as the new occupier, if you use energy you will need to pay for it, regardless of your contractual status. Secondly, you will need to identify as quickly as possible the identity of the existing supplier Thirdly, you will need to field calls from sales organisations and the existing supplier themselves offering you contracts of varying lengths to continue or to begin to supply the premises. As a result as a new occupier you will need to agree a new contract either with the existing supplier or with a new supplier of your choice. Not only that but you will need to inform the existing supplier as quickly as possible that you are the new tenant to prevent you being held liable for charges incurred by the previous occupier should they not have ended their agreement satisfactory. It can prove a real headache knowing whom to trust – whether it’s the old tenant, the landlord the current supplier, the pushy salesman ringing, knocking and emailing, the prospective new suppliers. That’s where Business Juice comes in, by working on your behalf, identifying your existing supply arrangements, reporting your change of tenancy, ensuring you are not held liable for costs not incurred before your occupation and benchmarking contracts for your selection we can help you save time, money and a whole lot of stress.
eSign Letter of AuthorityThe fastest way to authorise us to work on your energy supply arrangements is to use our eSign service to agree our Evergreen Letter of Authority. We’ll take care of all correspondence, handle all the loose ends and enable you to focus on establishing your business in its new premise. And what’s more once your contract is in place we’ll manage your supplier relationship from beginning to end, all part of the Business Juice service.
TransparencySmartestEnergy do not operate a renewal letter policy, instead they remain in communication with their customers throughout the contract term focussing on ongoing service and contract extension negotiations. By working with Business Juice we can provide you with a range of market leading options at the right time to suit your business in order to ensure you are getting the best possible deal from your energy supplier.
Business Juice Top Tip Every Business Juice client receives a unique key facts statement detailing all there is to know about their energy contract including all the important dates relative to your deal. Sign up today and take control with Business Juice.
Terminating with SmartestEnergyYou are not required by SmartestEnergy to provide written notice of your intent to terminate your contract at the end of its fixed period. Take advantage of this freedom of movement by allowing us to provide you with a range of market leading options at the right time to suit your business.
Rollover Contracts and SmartestEnergySmartestEnergy does not operate a policy of auto-rollover contracts. Now, when as a SmartestEnergy customer, your contract comes to an end, if you have not contacted SmartestEnergy or have not accepted their renewal offers you will simply be placed on their '"Out of contract" rates. The "Out of contract" rates will be more expensive than a "Fixed Price Plan" but it will allow you to leave at any time. Of course it makes sense not to get to this point in the first place and so contracting well in advance is always recommended as even a short term stay on a "Out of contract" rates will be significantly more expensive than other options. At least however you can be safe in the knowledge that if you do make a mistake and fail to contract properly the cost of your error can be minimised. However by using Business Juice you can avoid the potentially costly mistake of being exposed to variable rates. To find out more about rollovers visit our Guide to Rollover Contracts.
Terminating but remaining on supply with SmartestEnergyIf you have provided termination notice to SmartestEnergy and expressed your intent for freedom of movement at contract end but you fail to leave SmartestEnergy’s supply you will be placed on SmartestEnergy’s out of contract rates. Don't be caught out! By using Business Juice to manage your energy contracts we will terminate and manage your new contract seamlessly to ensure you avoid penalty rates.
SmartestEnergy and Out of Contract RatesSmartestEnergy's out of contract rates are 12.42p/kWh plus 88p/day. Even one week exposed to this level of charges mounts up, that's why clients taking our contract life management service makes sense: removing your exposure risk and letting you focus on your business confident in the knowledge that your energy contracts are in safe hands. To find out more visit our Guide to Out of Contract Rates
What payment terms does SmartestEnergy offer?SmartestEnergy operate a Monthly, Variable Direct Debit meaning the amount you pay directly relates to the volume of energy you consume in the month. SmartestEnergy does offer cash/cheque payment terms however this is done so at a premium. To find out more visit our Guide to Supplier Payment Terms. SmartestEnergy provide online billing functionality as standard within all of their contracts meaning the end of paper invoices for their customers whilst providing convenient access to their account data. If you have a SmartestEnergy invoice and are in doubt feel free to fax us your bill on 0845 387 5701 or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help locate the information for you.
SmartestEnergy & Smart MetersIn line with the mandated rollout of smart meters SmartestEnergy installs meters for Profile 05-08 electricity customers. We are awaiting clarification of SmartestEnergy 's policy to inherit smart meters of any type and operating them with full smart functionality. To find out which suppliers meet your smart metering needs call us on 0800 051 5770. Go one step better and by appointing Business Juice to manage your energy contracts you can take advantage of our smart meter offers. For more information on Suppliers’ policies on smart metering visit our Guide to Suppliers & Smart Meters.
SmartestEnergy & New Connections and Upgrade servicesSmartestEnergy currently only offer new connections and upgrade services to customers when they take out a new contract. If this doesn't suit your requirements, to find out which suppliers meet your connections needs call us on 0800 051 5770. Go one step better and by appointing Business Juice to manage your energy contracts you can take advantage of our management fee free new connections and upgrades offer.
SmartestEnergy & IGT MetersSmartestEnergy does not currently support meters supplied via IGT networks (Independent Gas Transporter). If your gas supply is delivered via an IGT network then SmartestEnergy cannot offer you a gas supply contract. To find out which suppliers meet your IGT needs call us on 0800 051 5770.
SmartestEnergy & Supporting Meter TypesSmartestEnergy support all electricity meter types including Half Hourly (HH), Maximum Demand (MD), Seasonal Time of Day (STOD) and standard profile meters as well as 'related' meters.
EnvironmentalSmartestEnergy offer green and renewable business tariffs through their access to 40% of the nation's renewable generation. For the reporting period 2013/14, SmartestEnergy’ Fuel Mix was:
- Coal: 28%
- Gas: 17%
- Nuclear: 5%
- Renewable: 47%
- Other sources: 3%
- Coal: 34.0%
- Gas: 25.6%
- Nuclear: 21.6%
- Renewable: 16.7%
- Other sources: 2.1%
Business Juice Top Tip By selecting a supplier with a fuel mix that suits your business' environmental credentials you can gain access to a renewable solution without paying premium green prices. By using Business Juice we can match up your needs with appropriate the fuel mix and enable your business to take support renewable initiatives.To find out more visit our Guide to Fuel Mix.